Thanksgiving Holidays and Black Friday


Thanksgiving day started by watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. I was in the parade twice during high school. It is very sentimental to me and I never miss it. Then, I went on to making a dozen deviled eggs 1 of 2 (I made it again on Saturday for Thanksgiving with my mom’s side of the family). I am always asked to make deviled eggs. I think it’s because no one else wants to do it, but it just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without them, so they make me do it. I don’t mind at all. They are easy and everyone loves them. However, I am capable of making more than just deviled eggs…hint hint. My mom made the turkey and dressing this year. It was her first year to take on this responsibility, therefore, it was mine too. After the eggs, I helped her rub an herb paste under the skin of the turkey breasts. It was absolutely disgusting but it tasted really good after it cooked! Then, I was greeted with a phone call from Quinton (cousin) wondering why he couldn’t look at the newspaper ads yet. He and Leslie were already at Granny Rosie’s and he wanted to go ahead and look at the ads. Leslie wouldn’t let him…remember our cardinal rule…and he didn’t understand so he called me to get clarification/permission. I gave him permission to look under two conditions 1) he could not tell us about any deal or discount and 2) he had to put the ads back exactly like he found them. Thankfully, he did just that and we didn’t have to disown him. We had a yummy meal complete with lots of laughter and chaos. The three are never separated at the Wright’s dinner table.  Afterwards, we watched a lot of youtube videos. My favorite was “The Turtleman.” You need to watch it.  Don’t miss his reason for losing his front teeth…HILARIOUS! Finally, we sat down to create a game plan for our Black Friday shopping extravaganza.  JCPenney opened at 4…so of course we had to be there at 4. 

The day began at 2:30 am when the alarm went off. I had slept for a little less than 4 hours, yet I had no trouble getting up, showering, and putting on my hot pink matching pajamas. Here are some of the things we witnessed/experienced throughout the day:
1.  When we arrived at 4 am, there was a mother putting her infant in a stroller! Crazy!
2.  As we were walking in the store, there were people leaving with shopping bags full of pillows. Pillows were a doorbuster for $3.88. Not worth it at 4 am. 
3.  Around 6 am we made our first trip out to the car. The parking lot was full so everyone was looking for a place to park. We had a lot of small kitchen appliances and a mirror we were putting in Leslie’s car, so it took us a while to get everything situated. There was a car waiting on us the entire time, thinking that we would eventually get in the car and leave. They obviously didn’t know us at all. After we shut the car doors, the lady in the waiting car asked us if we were leaving and we kindly said “no.” And she replied with an extremely rude, “Thanks for making us wait!” I’m sorry, but I don’t think I made you sit there and wait on us. 
4.  I was on the lookout for some shoes so we visited ALDO. You need to know that I am a picky shopper. I think through a lot before I make a decision. I probably tried on 4-5 pairs of shoes. However, the saleslady that was helping me was inconvenienced by my presence. She reminded me of Bon Qui Qui. She questioned me a lot about the shoes I picked out, kept asking me “Are you sure?” Like she really wanted to say, “Seriously? You want me to bring you another pair of shoes?” ALDO has European sizes. I needed a 37. Many times she would bring me a 38 because there was no 37. After trying on 2 38’s, I decided that they were too big and I just needed to stick with a shoe that had a 37 in stock. So, I asked for another pair of shoes in a 37 and she brought me a 39. If the 38’s are too big, obvisouly the 39’s will be even bigger. She got irritated with me that I didn’t even try them on to see if they fit. She finally gave up on me and tried to avoid me. But I still didn’t have any shoes and needed her to help me. So, I confronted her and told her I needed another shoe. She sighed, grabbed the shoe and walked off to the back. I left with 2 pairs of shoes size 37 that I really liked and she stayed in a bad mood. 
5.  Lunch was around 9 am. We ate at McAlister’s in the food court. The Galleria never has enough tables, even on a regular day. Leslie went on the lookout for a table. She found a group of people that were getting up and she hovered over them until they did so she could slip in and claim the table. As the group got up, another girl ran over, sat down and turned her head as if she never saw Leslie. Very rude. Leslie remained calm and walked away. We found a Hispanic family (a dad plus his 4 children under the age of 7) finishing up their meal. He let us have his table. In the transition, someone stole one of the chairs leaving us only 2. The man left his 4 children with us and he walked around the food court until he found a third chair. He was a very kind man. I’m just thankful he left his children with trustworthy people. 
6.  We got plenty comments on our matching pj’s. The teenagers all looked at us like we were dumb. One group of girls really wanted to laugh but was trying really hard not to until she passed us. I very loudly said, “Yeah, we match. It’s ok to laugh.” I made sure I made eye contact with everyone that stared to confirm that what they were seeing was true. Three grown women in matching pajamas. We weren’t afraid. All the men said things like, “Look, triplets!” All the women said, “Aren’t y’all so cute!” My favorite comment was an old man that reminded me of Pop Pop. We made him laugh so hard. He loved it! The funniest comment we heard was while mom was a little farther behind Leslie and me. We passed this lady and a few feet later, my mom passed her and heard her say, “I wonder if she knows those other girls are wearing the same thing she is?” We never made it on the news, but I can guarantee you that there will be people wearing matching pj’s next year. We have a different idea in mind for Black Friday 2009. 
7.  We finally left at 7 pm. We didn’t break our record but we did meet it. 
Saturday–A Typical Redneck Thanksgiving with the Milstead’s
Mom woke me up at 9:45 and said we were leaving at 10:30 to go to Gary Springs. Yeah right. I hadn’t made my deviled eggs yet. We left around 11:15 and got there around noon. Two four wheelers, a bow and arrow, small bonfire, camoflauge china, and an attempt to set up the TV outside so we could watch the game by the fire. At one point TH was running around the house with nothing but his boxers and cowboy boots on because he “was hot.” After the meal, Rena May (my grandmother’s sister) wanted to go “uptown” to Kelly’s. Rena May (she prefers Rena, but I prefer Rena May) said it was a gift shop. Mom (my grandmother and don’t ask me why I call her “mom” because I don’t know) said it was just a consignment shop and I wouldn’t be interested. However, I was looking forward to a trip with Rena May because she is SO giggly. And when you get my mom, grandmother mom, Rena May and me together it’s never ending laughter usually about nothing at all. Unfortunately, Kelly’s was closed. Rena May was so dissappointed that she stopped in the middle of the road to discuss plan B. We decided to go to the new Wal Mart!!! Woo Hoo. I haven’t been in a Wal Mart since last week! On our way, we made a small detour to Wrap It Up (a really cute gift shop/boutique), Dollar General, and Factory Connection. Grandmother Mom bought all kinds of Christmas stuff at Dollar General. It was unbelievable, I’ve never spent so much time in a DG. We finally made it to the Wal Mart. Rena May wanted grandmother Mom to get Celine Dion’s Christmas “tape”. Rena May talked about it at lunch, talked about it on the way to all the stores, we even listened to it in the car during our little shopping trip and heard that she is coming to Birmingham in February. I laughed so hard. Oh, I love my family! Don’t thinking I am making fun of anyone…poking fun is totally understandable and actually expected in my family. It wouldn’t be us without always making fun of someone/something. What can I say, we love to laugh! We came back and watched the Iron Bowl until the 3rd quarter and then drove back to Huntsville in the Camry with one headlight. Wonderful trip. 
Went church and then went to the Christmas Tree Farm to cut down our Christmas tree. We went to the same place last year and everyone brought their dogs. We felt bad because we didn’t bring Sanibel so we made sure to bring her this year.  I have two words that sum up our experience. Never again. We got home, decorated the house and the tree while listening to Elvis’s Christmas CD. I never decorate for Christmas without listening to him. When I was growing up, dad always made us listen to Elvis, Bing Crosby or Leon Redbone while we decorated the tree. Mom wasn’t very fond of it, but it was tradition and I don’t mess with tradition. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s